The Vermund G. Hansen Post 101, of
The American Legion
Vermund G. Hansen
This photo is one of five photos
that survived the Post fire on
May 16, 2004.
Vermund G. Hansen was a young, recently married, expert electrician, who had opened an electrical shop in the City of Pharr in early 1918. Even though exempt by law from military service, due to having three brothers already serving in the Army, the call to duty was too strong. So in the Fall of 1918, Vermund left his wife and business and enlisted in the Army. they sent the young man to France as a member of the Motor Transportation Corps, where he served faithfully and well throughout the war. It was through a twist of fate that he should succumb to bronchial pneumonia (influenza) when the home he so earnestly prayed for was in sight.
Private Vermund G. Hansen died in France on January 20, 1919. His body was returned to Pharr, Texas on November 6, 1919 and members of the newly formed Pharr Post of The American Legion escorted the body from the train station to the Methodist Church, where services were held. Veterans of the World War acted as pallbearers. Vermund was a patriot in peace, a soldier in war, and he will ever be held in high esteem and grateful remembrance by this community, from which he so self-sacrificingly set forth to do battle, that we might live in eternal peace.
The Pharr American Legion Post received a temporary charter on December 20, 1919 and became The Vermund G. Hansen Post 101, of The American Legion. The original charter members were: Martin Charles Hansen, Fred C. Sizilan, L.A. Fallers, Clarence Carlson, Robert Bryant, Ralph L. Buell, E.W. Schaffer, Hood Boone, John Jones, Joe Hill, Clarence P. Wolf, Jesse P. Lockhart, Alfonso Salinas, Alonzo L. Porsser, Joseph A. Lammons, LaVern Salisbury, Seferino Enriquez, and N.E. Thomas. The Post was granted a Permanent Charter on April 9, 1934. On August 10, 1947, the first ground was broken for a new Post 101 home, on Legion owned land on South Cage in Pharr. Harry Britten Jr. was the Post Commander at that time. The completed building was dedicated on December 19, 1948, as a memorial to the veterans of Pharr and San Juan who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II. The ceremony was attended by many distinguished guests, including: Lieutenant Governor Allan Shivers, Congressman Lloyd M. Bentsen, Jr., and many other National and local leaders of our great country.